Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Monday, April 21, 2014

1st Week in FLORIDA!!! (Week 3 of Mission, 2nd actual letter)

Happy (late) Easter!! Also, Happy (late) Birthday Parker!! I love you so much and hope you had a fantastic birthday. My thoughts and prayers are with you. aaaaaand Happy Birthday momma!!!! WOW I'm super sad that I'm not there to celebrate with you and decorate the house and make you a birthday breakfast, but I'm sure Ainslee, Preston, and Dad will take care of you. I love you SO much!!


I'M IN FLORIDA!!!!! I can't believe how lucky I am to be here in this mission. It's amazing here. My first couple of days here I kept thinking, "Man, it would be so cool to live in a place like this! Oh wait! I DO live here...for 18 months!!" haha 


OK so before I tell you all about my week here in Florida I'll tell you about my last few days at the MTC. My companion got quarantined on Friday morning! She had the flu and when we went to the Health Clinic they told her she'd have to stay in a room with another girl who had the flu as well. Security had to bring her all of her meals and she couldn't come to class so I was put with the other companionship of sisters in our district. Sad day. I felt super out of place without her. On Sunday morning she got released, thank goodness!!


Tuesday morning we had to get up at 1:30 am to get on a bus that took us to the airport so I got about 10 minutes of sleep that night. Fun stuff. RIGHT when I stepped off the plane in Ft. Lauderdale the humidity hit me...(good thing I love it now). President and Sister Anderson picked us up at the airport and took us back to their house where we had dinner and interviews. That night the AP's took us to hand out Book of Mormons. Sister Gardner was still my comp. and we had a man who claimed to be a prophet pray for us. (he would NOT take our BOM). Gotta love Florida. 


The next day at transfer meeting I met my trainer, Sister Biggs. She is so awesome. Everyone says we look like real sisters (but obviously she is like a million times cuter than me). The area that we're serving in is called Davie and it's in Ft. Lauderdale. The new temple is in our area. How lucky are we? This last Friday we got to work at the open house all day. I've also been able to go on two tours. It is GORGEOUS!! It's been an incredible opportunity for people to learn more about the church. All who enter are able to feel the peaceful spirit there. 


Saturday we had a mission conference. Elder Quentin L. Cook spoke and I got to shake his hand. He talked about how every apostle feels inadequate, but they feel adequate in standing as a witness of Jesus Christ. I feel the exact same way in my calling as a missionary. I KNOW I could not do this on my own. Luckily I don't have to. My life motto has always been "I can do hard things", but that is completely inaccurate. Pill. 4:13 Is my new motto. Look it up!!  


I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that he atoned for my sins and through the atonement I am able to do this great work. He makes up for what I lack and I will always love and serve him because of that. 


I love you alllll! Have an amazing week and look for ways you can serve those around you. 


Sincerely, Sister Matheson
 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment