Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 11

Happy (late) Father's Day Dad!!!! I can't believe I forgot to say that last week...awk. I actually forgot. Time on a mission is so weird! Oh well, know that I love you so much!!!

In honor of Father's Day this last week I studied about the priesthood. Heavenly Father loves us so much that he gave us the priesthood as a way for him to bless us and make it possible to live with him again. He gave his worthy sons the authority to use the priesthood and to his worthy daughters he is able to bless and strengthen them because of it. 

In the Book of Mormon I read in Mosiah 23 about Alma. His people are driven into the wilderness by King Noah. He refuses to be their king, and instead teaches them about God and is their high priest. "And it came to pass that none received authority to preach or to teach except it were by him from God. . . " (Mosiah 23:17). Alma was humble and recognized God in all things. Because of that, he was worthy of the priesthood and was able to serve and bless his people. 

". . . there were many who were ordained and became high priests of God; and it was on account of their exceeding faith and repentance, and their righteousness before God, they choosing to repent and work righteousness rather than to perish;" (Alma 13:10). The blessings of the priesthood are available to all because God loves us, however, we have to be worthy and obedient in order to be blessed by it.  

It's so important that we ask ourselves " Am I doing everything I can to be worthy to receive the wonderful blessings of the priesthood?" 

In Relief Society this week we all got these mustaches and a quote that says,
 "You 'mustache' yourself this question: Am I doing everything in my power to help the men around me honor their priesthood, defend and preserve their virtue, and be ready for their current and future responsibilities?"

We met a man named Nelson this week Harvesting. He said he would be baptized, but wanted to know more because he is a devout Catholic. When we went back the next day he seemed surprised to see us. In his prayer he said, "thank you for sending the sisters back to me." We taught him about the restoration of the gospel and priesthood and how he can receive personal revelation. He and his son came to church on Sunday and are excited to learn more. 

Jesus got baptized this week!! He's been sober for a month now which is a huge miracle. He's been drinking since he was 13 and tried all kinds of programs. Nothing has worked for him "except for God". None of his family came to support him, but he told us, "I'm here and that's all that matters". As he came up out of the water he looked up at all of us with the biggest smile. 

I LOVE Florida! I'm already completely biased towards my mission. I get to meet people from all over the world every day. A few days ago we were Harvesting and we met people from 6 different countries
-America (Obviously)
-Columbia
-Bulgaria
-Pakistan 
-Jamaica
-Dominican Republic

LOVE YOU!!!!!

Sincerely,
Sister Matheson

pic #1 Jesus' Baptism!!!
pic #2 Elder Brimley Baptized Jesus. 
pic #3 Mustache

 

No comments:

Post a Comment