Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Monday, November 10, 2014

Week #32 "Jesus take the wheeeeel"

Heeyyyooo!!!
First of all, we had transfer calls last night. They announced Pines first and said that Sister Furner was Transferring and that I'm staying......AND TRAINING!!!!!!! What?!?!? I'm still a baby in the mission! Oh well. I just kept thinking in my head, "Jesus take the wheeeeel".
This week was the perfect way to end the transfer. We saw so many miracles I'm just going to have to start by listing them off.
Miracle one:
We were biking to an appointment by the freeway when we saw a woman standing by the side of the road with a sign. She seemed to be homeless and her sign said, "anything will help". We were waiting for the crosswalk in order to cross the road when I had the impression to talk with her. I admit, I had to resist the temptation to just ignore her and let other people help her. I got off my bike and went right up to her. Sister Furner followed behind and she asked us if we had a "Mormon Bible". We gave her one right away and offered to say a prayer with her. Her skin looked so sun burnt from standing in the sun all day. We walked over by her backpack to get away from the street as much as possible. We said a prayer with her right there by the freeway. Afterwards we asked if we could come teach her more, but she said she lives in different hotels depending on how much they cost. It made me so sad to think that we almost didn't talk with her and she really WAS homeless. I had the weirdest impression to give her my CTR ring, but I shrugged it aside and got back on my bike. We crossed the street and I told Sister Furner about the prompting. I felt the prompting AGAIN so We ran back across the street and I gave her my CTR ring, explaining what it stood for. She said, "Thank you ma'am. God bless". 
I kept thinking, "Never suppress a generous thought".
Miracle two:
Our investigator Blanca got really sick. She was actually in the hospital so we decided to go visit her. When we got there I had somehow forgotten my ID at home and they couldn't let me in. We had to wait for the security guard to come give me the ok. We waited for a very long time and Sister Furner and I both knew there must've been a reason. Right before the security guard came I saw a less active woman from the Davie ward. I went up to her and gave her a hug. She said that her step daughter was in the hospital for internal bleeding. We were able to visit both Blanca and that woman. We would've never seen her if I had had my ID.
Miracle three:
The second day at the hospital we taught Blanca about the Restoration. It was a very powerful lesson and we talked about the Holy Ghost protecting us just like the fire protecting Alma and Amulek. Before we left Sister Furner gave Blanca her CTR ring just like when I gave the homeless woman my CTR ring. It was so neat. The next day we visited Blanca, she had the ring on her finger. We had been praying that she would be released from the hospital so that she could make it to church and she told us that she was going home that night. SUCH a tender mercy!!!
Miracle four:
We went to visit our investigator Jamie, but she didn't answer. We went across the street to visit a woman we had said a prayer with a few weeks prior, but she didn't have time for us to talk with her. When we turned around we saw one of our members at Jamie's door. We walked across the street, but he didn't see us because it was dark. He had set some cigarettes and a monster drink on the roof of his car, so before he noticed I grabbed them and put them in my purse. He came around and noticed what I had done. We had a powerful lesson on the Atonement and the Word of Wisdom. Right then Jamie walked out of her trailer, sat on her front porch, and lit up a cigarette. We taught them both and "cried repentance" unto them. We told them how much God loved them and the member committed to cut back to 5 cigarettes and then to quit in a couple of days. Jamie invited us in and told us how she was going to quit as well.
Random things from the week:
-We have Bible Studies every Wednesday night at the chapel. This week it went really well! There was a really good turn out with Recent converts and long time members.
-We taught an 11 year old girl how to ride a bike. That's a first!
This week I studied a lot in Acts about the apostles healing the man at the temple. I thought it was so interesting how they not only told him he was healed, but they actually lifted him up and helped him stand. That is our job as missionaries AND members. We have to be the hands for Jesus to LIFT all those around us. Not only do we "cry repentance", but we are there for people every step of the way. I encourage you to study that story and pull out of it what applies to you. It is amazing.
I love you all so much. Pray for me and my trainee....haha 
Have an amazing week! 
Remember, it's one thing to wear a CTR ring, but it's another to actually Choose The Right.
Sincerely, Sister Matheson
pictures
Me being disobedient and holding a "baby". 
Who knew I was really just getting practice to train..?;)


 

Teaching Sophia how to bike


The Ginger power is leaving me...

 Visiting the Hospital

Florida Wildlife



No comments:

Post a Comment