Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Monday, August 4, 2014

Week 18

Heyyy! I can't believe I'm already 4 months old (as a missionary)!!! 

This week was filled with so many funny moments. We were teaching our Haitian investigator Sadrac and his little nieces and nephew were there. Kayla wanted to do a half heart with her hand and have me complete it. When I put my hand up to hers her brother said, "look, it's brown and white". haha. Sadrac was also saying the prayer at the end of the lesson. Kayla was sitting next to me and I had my arm around her. Sadrac started praying about "the Lords spirit and the spirit of charity and the spirit of truth..." when Kayla looks up and whispers,
"the spirit of Christmas." hahahaha!!! 

We were at a members house talking with them. I guess I like to talk a lot because for some reason after Sister Nimer said the prayer Brother Adams said to me, "How does it feel to have such an awesome Junior comp like Sister Nimer?".
I was just like.....uh I'm actually the Junior comp...cool beans. 

Member missionary work has been the topic of my studies this week. In Jacob 5:70-75 The Lord of the vineyard commands all of his servants (not just missionaries) to go and labor because the Harvest is coming soon. 
"And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them; and they did obey the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard in all things" (vs. 72). "The Lord promises to help members know what to say and do as they share the gospel" (PMG p 84). The Lord will be with us always as we strive to share the gospel with all of our friends, family, and acquaintances. Why should we fear in this great calling when we have God on our side?

"And blessed art thou; for because ye have been diligent in laboring with me in my vineyard, and have kept my commandments, and have brought unto me again the natural fruit, that my vineyard is no more corrupted, and the bas is cast away, behold ye shall have joy with me because of the fruit of my vineyard"
(vs. 75). 

Sunday we had the opportunity to be a part of the Relief Society lesson. The Elders were there as well and we did a role play to demonstrate how easy it can be to share the gospel. The sisters split up and role played on their own.
It was great.  

This week I really prayed about how to help our ward catch the missionary spirit. There's only so much we can do as missionaries, but when the members come out with us and share the gospel it makes all the difference in our investigator's conversion. We saw great miracles with our investigator, Sadrac, this week as members came to our lessons with him. Sadrac was definitely an elect investigator. He was already living all the commandments and practically taught US how living them will bless people's lives. When he came to church on Sunday multiple people came up and welcomed him with a warm smile and handshake. There were several families that attended his baptism as well. The Bishop bore a powerful testimony and welcomed him to "the family". He couldn't help but smile and laugh because he was so happy. The Stake President asked him which missionaries taught him. He looked over and pointed at Sister Nimer and I. He said, "Sister Madison and Sister Amber" In his Haitian accent. :) He said, "They came and taught me the mormon doctrine" with a big grin on his face. He continued to expound on what we taught him...I don't remember, but the spirit was so strong. He couldn't stop smiling after he was baptized. 

After running around like crazy missionaries, getting everything ready for the baptism, we were exhausted. Harvesting was really hard at the beginning. We set a vision and goal to find a family of four, but we were tired, and feeling the spirit was hard. We decided to walk down the street until we felt which house we should go to. We walked down the sidewalk which led us to the back of an apartment building where there were more doors. We knew this is where God wanted us to be. The first door we knocked on back there answered and let us in. It was single mom with three teenage children. We prayed with them and they all accepted baptism for the 17th of August. The mom told us how she'd been going through a hard time and knew that God had sent us.  

I love you all!!!
Find and pray for opportunities to share the gospel this week.
God will provide you with them no matter where you live.
He will give you the words to say as well.
Just do it!! 

D&C 78:7

Sincerely,
Sister Matheson

pic 1: Selfies in the car
pic 2: A member that we visit grew this pineapple in her front yard. It's all organic and tasted sooooo good!
pic 3: Saturday we decided to taste a little bit of home and have Jamba for lunch! 
pic 4: Florida....
pics 5-7: Sadrac's baptism in President's pool!!!
pic 8: Sister Nimer got a thorn in her tire and then pulled it out...bad idea. We were blessed to be right by a members house though, who drove us to our car. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment