Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 20

I'M STAYING IN DAVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well actually...it probably won't be called Davie any longer. So many changes have been happening. The Church is growing so much here in South Florida that they made a new stake last week. Transfers are going to be crazy. Our ward is now called the Ft. Lauderdale 1st ward. We'll see tomorrow who my new companion is...by the end of this next transfer I will have been in Davie for 6 months!!! I'm totally fine with that:) We're working with a lot of great people and I was sad at the possibility of leaving them.
One woman we are teaching is named Latoya. God led us to her as we were walking down the street. We saw a light on in her apartment and felt like we should go knock on her door. She was holding a piece of chicken and said, "uhh...can you come back?". When we went back she invited us in and we prayed with her. Our next couple lessons we taught her about the Book of Mormon and invited her to be baptized. When we went back she had taken notes on what she learned! When we taught her the Restoration she said she got the chills and knew it was true. We told her that we have a living prophet today named Thomas S. Monson. She said, " Are you serious?". We pulled up a picture of him on her phone and she got a big smile on her face. We pulled up a video of him giving a talk on lds.org and watched the whole thing. She said she wanted to watch more after we left. We LOVE her!!!
I am still speechless about a miracle that happened just last night. When I was with Sister Biggs we were teaching a family that was super elect. They accepted baptism and loved us like family. They weren't making church a priority and soon we lost contact with them. Whenever we went to their house they weren't home. We decided it wasn't their time. Several weeks ago Sister Nimer and I decided to go check up on them. We tried twice with no success. I was so sad because I really loved this family and wanted them to be an eternal family. I knew that God had a plan for them and would let us know when they were ready. Sunday night I felt impressed to Harvest in a specific neighborhood. We were on bikes Monday and rode to that neighborhood after several appointments. As we pulled up to the map and sat there on our bikes we heard a car honking at us. I turned around to see Vanessa (the mom of that family) pull up and get out of the car. I couldn't believe it!!! She yelled, "Where have you been? We've missed you. My kids always talk about you". I ran over and gave her a big sweaty hug (ew). I explained that we tried so many times, but they were never home. She said we could come over today (Tuesday)!!! I prayed so hard that I would stay in Davie so that I could teach them again. God answered my prayers!:) 
One more quick miracle. Last P-day Sister Nimer and I went to Ikea. We are both obsessed with that store so we decided to cease the opportunity to go with a willing companion:) I needed a new pillow because the pillow I've been sleeping on doesn't even deserve to be called a pillow. that's how terrible it is. All the pillows at Ikea were like $45.00 and I was all, "heck noooo!" When we got down stairs in the "returned" section there was a fancy down pillow for only $4.00....Let me say that again $4.00!! God cares about the details of our life. Even if it's just a dumb pillow for a Sister Missionary. 
This week I studied about the Pride Cycle in the Book of Mormon. I've heard before that the most important word in the dictionary is "Remember". I couldn't agree more. The key to people staying out of the pride cycle in the Book of Mormon is remembering the Lord always. When they continually turned to him in prayer they were able to be protected. 
Alma 62:49-51
President Richardson told us at our Zone Training this week that 70% of the people who get baptized and go to the temple stay active. How important is going to the temple then? When we continually pray and go to the temple we are able to remember and have that continual protection. 
Helaman 3:26-27
 
Love you all!!!!!!
Sincerely,
Sister Matheson

pics 1 &2: At Elder D'Addabbo's Birthday party
pics 3, 4, 5 & 6:  Ikea happiness and miracles!!
pic 7: We got free sushi on Wednesday. A member from Korea made it for us. Best sushi I've ever had!!!
pics 8 & 9: Our investigator, Latoya
pic 10: matching nightgowns
pic 11: Florida sunsets...










No comments:

Post a Comment