Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Week 35 #sharethegift

Dear Family and Friends,

How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was fantastic! Our Bishop invited us to his house and his wife made SO MUCH FOOD! She made FIVE homemade pies for the six of us...let's just say we were fed well. People are starting to put up Christmas lights and it is quite the experience to see all the Palm trees lit up. It doesn't quite feel like Christmas yet except for the rare times when it gets down to the 60's/50's. We're spoiled.

I can't believe that I've almost been out 8 months...scary thought....enough of that....

Last P-day we were in line at the Post Office and this little Latin woman asked me to save her spot in line. I said, "of course". When she came back in line she said, "you don't look like you're from around here"... I smiled and explained that my companion and I are both from Utah and that we're here in Florida serving a mission for our church. She had questions about the church so we explained really briefly and said that missionaries could come say a prayer with her. She was very excited about that and wrote down her address for us. When we got home we realized that it was actually in our apartment complex and in our area so we followed up a few days later. We went and said a prayer with her and her son and taught the Restoration. She agreed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about her baptism. That was a testimony to me of God putting people in our path when we least expect it. We always need to be representing the Lord though because you never know who notices you.

A lot of the people we are teaching are slowly progressing, but they're progressing. I strongly feel like Sister Anderson and I are the missionaries that are supposed to be in this area because we have the patience and faith in them that they need.

Love + Prayer = Softened Hearts
Something really cool that we've been asking our ward members and auxiliary leaders to do is pray more specifically for missionaries. Don't just pray for them, but rather pray that the people's hearts will be softened in this area and that we will be able to recognize the Spirit leading us to those people. Also pray for your own missionary opportunities and than do everything you can to prepare yourself spiritually so that you can feel ready when they come. Because they do come! I think that's why people are afraid to pray for that haha. We don't need to worry though because it is a promise that we will be given the very words to say by the Spirit if we prepare ourselves. Alma 31:34-35

I finished the Book of Mormon this week and started it again. Something that stuck out to me this time, in the beginning, was when Lehi had to leave behind all of his gold and silver. He promptly obeyed the command that God had given him. When they set up their tent, the first thing he did was "he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God." (1 Nephi 2:7)
I thought that was perfect for the Thanksgiving season because there's always something to be grateful for when we have the Lord on our side.

I love you all. Never forget that.

Sincerely, Sister Matheson

p.s. If you haven't already seen "He is the Gift" on www.christmas.mormon.org or www.lds.org, than WATCH IT!!! I never get sick of it. The Spirit is so strong every time. I think you should've gotten pass along cards with your Ensigns so pass them out to everyone! Most people will say yes to a simple card during Christmas time. Post it everywhere and share the goodness. #sharethegift
 
 Pictures:
Our investigator Jamie let me do her nails. 
THEN the next day a recent convert who couldn't bend over 
asked if we would paint her nails. 
Who knew so many people would appreciate my nail painting skills. 
Maybe I've found my calling in life...? 
 Thanksgiving pies! YUM!!

Coco-nutty

 Christmas is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment