Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission // April 2014-October 2015

Monday, January 5, 2015

Week 40 - Happy New Year 2015

HAPPY 2015!!!!! I can't believe 2014 has already come and gone. On New Years Eve a member took us to an Argentine bakery and we got Empanadas. SO GOOD!!! 
I don't know how I will ever live without Latin food. 
I guess I'll just have to make it for you all when I get home.
I can't believe that my HALF WAY MARK has already come and gone as well! SO WEIRD!!! I can't even describe how weird that feels...anyways
 
     This week we had an exchange with our STL's on my 9-month "Birthday". We all met up at ihop for breakfast to celebrate. I got to work in the Nova YSA (Young Single Adults) area with Sister Coates. We went harvesting in a ghetto neighborhood. It was quite the experience for me. I LOVED it! We talked to some homies and some stray dogs followed us and everything. We went to follow up with some people that they had prayed with and they lived right by Hollywood beach. I could just feel the moisture in the air. It was exactly what I thought about when I thought about serving in Florida...weird how my mission has been nothing like that! HA.
 
     Friday we went to a Recent Converts house for her Birthday. Her neighbor made REAL Italian Lasagna. It was THE. BEST. LASAGNA. I'VE. EVER HAD.!!! No joke. I felt like Bob from "What about Bob" the whole time just telling her over and over how good it was. I had to take pictures. She didn't even use marinara or mozzarella like you would think. She also made the best carrot cake I've ever had. (Dad, you should be jealous. I'll send you a pic). Man, now I'm hungry...
 
     On Sunday there was a member visiting from Nicaragua who brought her non-member cousin whom she was staying with. They came up to us and introduced themselves. We asked her how she felt at church and she said she really felt good. They stayed for all three hours. After church we found out that they don't live in our area, but it really boosted my faith and I have no doubt that God will compensate for our efforts when we do all we can.
    
This week I realized a couple areas that I need to improve on. I feel as though most people desire to see results immediately. I definitely fall under that category as well, especially when it comes to missionary work. I want to help people so badly because I love them so much and it's a little frustrating when I can't see the impact I'm having.  I reflected on our purpose and realized that the only thing we can do is INVITE!!! We can't even be the ones to help them, only Jesus Christ can do that. I reflected on Joseph Smith and how he didn't get to see the full impact that he had until he had already passed away. I know now that God can be and is proud of us when we do all we can do, but when the end result isn't as we had hoped, we can still feel edified because we know we did what we've been called here to do. Just some thoughts.
 
I love you all so much. Thank you for your emails, prayers, and support. 
I hope you all have an amazing week and keep doing the BASICS!!!
 
Sincerely, Sister Matheson
 
pics:
 
Art in Hollywood

Amazing Carrot Cake
THE. BEST. LASAGNA. I'VE. EVER HAD!!!
 Rose and I on her birthday
 Sister Anderson and Rose on her birthday
 Sister Anderson and I

Sister Coates and I

 My 9 month "Birthday" Breakfast Party


No comments:

Post a Comment